The NSF ADVANCE program is designed to foster gender equity through a focus on the identification and elimination of organizational barriers that impede the full participation and advancement of diverse faculty in academic institutions. ADVANCE “Partnership” awards provide support to collaborations among STEM professional societies and academic and non-academic non- profit organizations designed to broaden the implementation of evidence-based equity strategies and have a national or regional reach.
The ADVANCE program has made a diverse portfolio of projects that includes:
- 70 Institutional Transformation (IT) awards (awarded between 2001 and 2018)
- 37 IT-Catalyst awards (awarded between 2008 and 2016)
- 31 Leadership awards (awarded between 2001 and 2006)
- 81 Partnership awards – includes Partnerships for Adaptation, Implementation and Dissemination (PAID), Partnerships for Learning and Adaptation Networks (PLAN) and Partnership (awarded between 2006 and 2018)
- 8 Adaptation awards (awarded in 2017)
- 43 ADVANCE Fellowship awards (Awarded in 2001 and 2003; these are no longer offered)
Since 2001 Institutions with the NSF Advance awards have used different interventions to reduce durable inequality in the academia. Between years 2012 to 2014 Montana State University (MT) and University of CA Davis (CA) and some other institutions used different mechanisms to bring transformation in the academia.
University of CA Davis successful initiatives include:
- CAMPOS Initiative
- Center for the Advancement of Multicultural Perspectives on Science. The Capital Resource Network (CRN) supports newly recruited employees and their families by easing transition stress and assisting to establish personal and professional connections. Offering exceptional diversity and inclusion benefits, the CRN helps to attract and retain the best and brightest from all over the world.
- ICCI Inclusive Campus Climate. (STEAD Certificate Program)
- M&NI Mentorship & Networking (Mentorship & Networking Initiative
Provide tools that empower individuals for career advancement)
- P&PRI Policy & Practices Review (Identify and remove institutional barriers to inclusion and career development)
- SSRI. Social Sciences Research.